Friday, September 14, 2007

Cheese Steaks and King Tut

It's hard to believe that the Philadelphia Distance Run half marathon weekend is finally here. It's been almost four months since I signed up and almost two months since I shut down training due to the ankle injury.

Although I've been pretty down about the weekend, I'm definitely more psyched now that it's here. The big question will be if I can keep myself from running early and save up for the end. My plan is to walk the first 10, then run the last 5k through the finish. Problem will be watching everyone else go out running and not speeding out with them. I certainly don't want to head back on a bus.

It's been a good month since I've attempted to put any serious pressure on the ankle, I've got extra support in my athletic shoes and I've been taking the anti-inflammatories religiously. Not much more I can do.

Although the training plan went up in smoke, I've definitely worked on overall fitness at the gym and on the bike. My biggest disappointment, though, has been with the scale. Barely a budge in the past month. I was sure I'd be below 250, but I'm still hanging in the 257-262 range.

We're heading up tonight after I get home from work. Tomorrow, we have tickets to see the King Tut exhibit, then off to the Expo. Hope to meet fellow blogger Dan at the Expo. If not, we should be able to meet up before the race. Then, hopefully, a good night sleep and off to the starting line for the 7:45 gun. Weather will be chilly -- high Sunday of just 70, so race time should be below 60. My kids will be doing the 1 mile fun run. If all goes as expected, I expect to finish in 3:10 to 3:25 range.

After the race, we've promised the kids cheese steaks. Last time we were in Philly, we did a taste test between Pat's and Geno's. Honestly, I can't remember who won. Guess we'll have to do it all over again!

Good luck to Dan and some other friends running in Philly, Scott and Stacey. Also, best wishes out to Mike and Jenny running their first half marathon's tomorrow in Janesville, WI followed by a duathlon on Sunday. (Does that add up to a tri?)

Stay tuned for a full report on Monday.

L'Chaim!

6 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Jeff, I look forward to meeting you and your family.

I am a Geno's Guy.

Pat said...

Enjoy Philly and your run. Don't forget to take a camera and lots of pics. If you put your name on the front of your shirt, everyone will cheer for you.

Say hi to Dan.

Anonymous said...

Very cool that you and Dan are going to meet up. Have a grand time and enjoy that cheese steak.

Emil Von Runner said...

When they went through philly on Fat March and showed people making cheese steaks I had to run for the computer and calculate the distance to prove to myself it was too far to go for a midnight snack (actually it would have been the next days lunch, so it may have worked).

Jeff said...

I'm thinking it was Geno's for us too.

Deb is in charge of photography. I'm just in it for the scenery!

The more I think about the cheese steaks, the more likely I am to run! Glad we didn't plan to go there before the race.

Interesting, neither place lists nutrition info on thier web site. Hmmm, what's up with that?

Unknown said...

Good luck and enjoy! Sounds like a solid plan to get back into it - here's some good vibes sent out to keep your ankle in line!

I'm not sure what a half and du add up to other than an exercise in stupidity and a heck of a lot of calories!!!!