Monday, September 24, 2007

Baltimore Marathon

It all started about a week ago when my buddy Dave told me he was asked about running a leg in the Baltimore Marathon Relay. Then he sent me the link for the medal, which, I think, sealed the deal for him.




I suddenly got a case of medal envy.

I started to think . . . hey, if I could do 13 miles a couple of weeks ago, why couldn't I do 5, 6 or 7 in three weeks?

Last night, Deb said -- "so are you going to do anything with the Baltimore Marathon -- you know they have a half marathon and a 5k". Door open. . . walk right in. "As a matter of fact, I've been thinking. . ."

So, I check the Active board for the race and found a couple of posts for people looking for one or two runners. I e-mailed one and they're still looking. Did the full disclosure thing -- make sure they're not looking for someone that will give them a shot a something fast.

THEN, Deb tells me she's got plans that day. Dad comes to the rescue to watch the kids and hopefully will bring them to the finish line.

Looks like I'm in -- 4th leg is the longest at 7.3 miles, but will get to cross the finish line at Raven's Stadium! Better figure out a quick 18 day training plan.

L'Chaim!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to do the Relay. I ran the half there last year and this year I am doing the 5K with a group of women I talk to on the internet. The medals are so much cuter this year than they were last year.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

That is a very cool medal. I might make the trip next year for that medal. Jeff, do you know if you get the medal for the 1/2?

bigmike600 said...

Jeff
Just like in Forrest Gump. Run Jeff Run..that will get you ready.
That medal gives me medal envy. How about you, me and Dan doing a relay next year? We could call ourselves team loser and no one would get the joke but us.

Jeff said...

Relay? I think we'll be ready for the full next year -- or at least the half. Those medals are equally cool.

Unknown said...

You have to do it sheerly for the medal..... that baby is SWEET!

Anonymous said...

Dan: They have medals for the relay, half and full. Maybe we could get a relay team together for next year amongst some of us Internet folk. :)

Kim Herring said...

OH I wish I lived closer to Baltimore - I love the medal and would love to do a relay sounds like a TON-O-FUN!

Anonymous said...

wooh. almost posted my email address! this is what happens when you post before eating after working out.

anyway... it sounds like you've got the bug! i love events - i really get refueled by being around so many like-minded people.

enjoy the book - it's one of my favorites.