Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Back to My Old Friend

I really enjoy running outside, but with Baltimore coming up way too soon and needing to get some training in, I still don't want to risk any further injury before the race. The best way to train, then, is back with my old friend, the treadmill.

Since I did 2 mi pain free on Sunday, I decided to bump to 2.5 on Monday. As I got to about 3/4 mi, my left thigh started to tighten up. Walked a bit, then shut it down at a mile. (Stretching? I don't need no stinkin' stretching.) Total of 1 mile. Bummer.

Yesterday, I got some stretching advice and spent about 10 minutes stretching before hand. While watching The Biggest Loser, headed down to the mill. Running was fine, but started to feel nauseous as I approached a mile. The thigh felt okay -- still a bit sore, but much better than Monday. Unfortunately, I had to deal with the other issue. Did 1.3 mi. and felt queasy the rest of the night. I've rarely run at night, so maybe I was running too close to dinner. I dunno.

Today I went back to the old stand by -- a morning tread. After stretching again and with ESPN2 and Mike and Mike on the tv, I again planned for 2.5 miles, hoping to run the whole distance. Again, some very slight, but noticable pain in the thigh, but nothing debilitating. No bad belly feelings, so I was set to go. As I got to 2 1/2 miles, I felt good enough to finish out 5K, which was my minimum run in the months before injury. Was able to finish running about 80-85% of the distance. Felt good. A few minor pains, but I seem to be much more aware of every little twinge. Averaged 11:50/mile -- quite good for me, especially considering my treadmill pr is 11:20 and I haven't been on it in almost 3 months.

This was a great test and I feel like I've passed it -- on the third try. I'd like to work up to at least 5 miles leading into Baltimore and I'll declare myself ready to go. Feeling good about that. Feels good to feel good!

L'Chaim!

6 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Third times a charm Jeff. Nice job on the 5K.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I hear you on the being aware of every little twinge. Since I started nursing my ankle issues I am so aware of every little ache or tightness in my left leg. Especially from the knee down. I find as I get in more and more runs without having issues the next day I am becoming much more tolerant of the twinges. I am hoping by the time I get to my full marathon I will be able to ignore them all together.

When you find out your bib number for the relay let me know. I will be at the finish line waiting for my friend and I would love to cheer you on as you cross the finish line.

Pokey said...

Nice job Jeff. You will do GREAT!

Kim Herring said...

Super job on the millwork. :-)

Keep up the good work and Baltimore will be a breeze.

Emil Von Runner said...

Way to go man. Sorry it has to be on a treadmill, but I agree it is probably for the best given your condition and commitments.

Pat said...

It's always good to listen to your body. Here's a short from Runners' world on aches and pains:



Runner's World