Monday, September 24, 2007

Breakthrough?

It has seemed like I would never break through the scale plateau that I've been on for the past six weeks or so. I first hit 257 point something on August 10 and since then, I had gone as high as 261.8. On 9/6, I hit 256.8, and had hoped to see a sustained breakthrough, but it wasn't meant to be. Today, the scale showed 256.2. Hopefully, this will represent the first of many new lows soon to come.

Before you comment about not worrying about the scale, this is definitely easier said than done. For my entire life, my level of physical fitness has been measured by the scale. I was reminded of my younger struggles with the scale when I read the obituary of my childhood pediatrician over the weekend.

The annual visit to Dr. Blue was dreaded as soon as mom put it on the calendar. Imagine the level of stress in a ten year old when, despite my parents best efforts, I knew that the scale would go too far in the wrong direction and, unfortunately, I was rarely wrong. After the exam, I would be excused so that Dr. Blue and my mom would be able to confer. In those days, the doc never seemed to communicate care to the minor patient as my kids' doctors do today. Mom would come out and we'd leave and I'd anxiously await "the discussion." If I was lucky, we'd discuss my weight on the way home, in the car. If I was unlucky, dad would be involved. Regardless, once we had the conversation, I was safe to start bulking up again until the next year.

Wow, amazing what skeletons pop out of your mind when an event jogs your memory.

Back on topic of the scale, despite my stagnation, I definitely feel more fit over the past couple of months. No doubt it has been due to the increased weight work and cross training. Also, I'm truly not stressing about the scale as I had earlier this year when I stagnated. I feel good and getting better every day. I won't hit my 2007 goal of losing a second 100 pounds, but I will feel better and fitter than ever before.

L'Chaim!

3 comments:

Kim Herring said...

Jeff - The battle of the scale is definitely a mental one for me and I have struggled all year with it. I know my level of fitness is better now than it was a year ago and I suppose I will just wait for my body to catch up.

Thank you for being such an inspiration!

Pat said...

it's kind of like the captain of a boat worrying about the level of the sea. It's up and it's down. You just need to worry about trends and averages, not what you weight at 7 am on any given day. I use the google 15, a 15 day average to chart my weight. So, if yesterday was on the high side (which it was), I don't sweat it. Google 'google 15' and you'll learn more about it.

Good luck with the Baltimore marathon. I'd do it too. Sounds like fun to do the final leg.

Anonymous said...

3 comments:
1. It was sad to read about Dr. Blue. Good man, great and compassionate physician

2. Now measuring your weight in tenths of pounds! You've come a long way, baby!

3. "If I was unlucky, dad would be involved". What the hell is that all about?