Sunday, July 22, 2007

Pain in the Foot

It's been a while since I've posted and it's been a crazy week. I've got two or three half started posts that kinda died on the vine. Either didn't have time to finish or wound up not going where I thought that they would.

Anyway, it's been a tough week on my feet. Very frustrated with foot and ankle pain. The left arch pain that I reported last week seems to have disappeared. That's a good thing!

In it's place, however, is some right ankle pain. I've had the pain before, but not in a long time. It has always gone away in a couple of weeks. What I'm not used to, however, is the concern over my training plan. Just 5 weeks until the Annapolis 10 and 8 weeks to Philly.

This week's plan called for 14 miles, including a 5 mile run this weekend. Tuesday was okay, as I completed 3.5 scheduled in a reasonable time. Wednesday the ankle pain kicked in -- I did 2.3 miles in about 30 minutes. Much of it was fast walking. Thursday's 3.5 turned into 2.5 in 36 minutes. Again, too much pain.

I was treating the pain mostly with ibuprofen, but it wasn't helping much. I planned my long run -- scheduled 5 miles -- for Sunday.

Deb suggested that I wrap my ankle with an ace bandage.

I went out this morning as nervous as I've ever been. I was able to run, albeit somewhat gingerly, particularly at first.

For the first time, I kept up a running pace for two miles, a new personal best. Although my pace was off the 12 minutes per mile I'd hoped for, I was less concerned about that, given my ankle problems.

Unfortunately, at about 3 miles, I started to feel more pain in my right foot. I decided not to push it too hard and ultimately completed 4 miles, one less than planned. I think the foot pain was from ace bandage wrap being too tight.

In all, it was a good run. A bit short, but I'm learning about my various pains and feelings.

All for now.

L'Chaim!

No comments: