Friday, July 13, 2007

For Better or Worse

It was early morning a year ago, the house was quiet and the kids were still asleep. My man lay next to me with that look of despair and hopelessness I had grown accustomed to seeing, making me feel equally hopeless.

It was time…time to discuss the “F” word. HEY! Not that “F” word (this IS a family blog after all), the OTHER “F” word. Far bigger, far badder than any other…FAT.

You have journeyed through with my beloved but have only heard one side of the story…now for a bit of history about the “other half.”

There we lay…FAT and not so happy. I too have carried quite a bit of an extra load all of my adult life. Imagine my delight finding a wonderful and amazing man who appreciated my “curves” AND shared my passion and enthusiasm for food.

I had been in diabetic denial for a couple of years after the birth of our 2nd child. My wake up call had come a few weeks earlier when I got rejected for routine hernia surgery. My pre-op A1C # was 9.5, my cholesterol 276 – YIKES!! Something needed to change!

Back to laying in bed in the quiet bliss of the morning… The conversation started out like many before… "we need to do something" but it generally never got any farther than that. Our lives were spiraling out of control and we both recognized that we were “goin’ down” and fast. We both knew that a “diet” was NOT the solution. Where do we start??? What do we do??

So it started with a french fry for Jeff and bread and butter for me – our trigger, shove in your face kind of comfort foods that we could both devour in mass quantities. Deciding on one thing to give up allowed us to take control of our lives and led to our slowly controlling and taking command of other things in our lives that were contributing to our unhealthy life style.

So here we are a year later…our family eats healthier, we participate in local 5K’s for charity, the bikes that sat in the garage for 2 years gathering dust frequently get used, we feel better and definitely look better. The postponed surgery??? In December my A1C was 5.9 and my cholesterol 138 and I’m proud to report that my herniated outy is now an inny again.

A year ago Jeff and I took a vow of another kind…to take control and give up one food that contributed to our unhealthy lifestyle – Happy Anniversary my love. I’m so very proud of you and your many accomplishments during the past year. I’m glad we’re on this journey together and I look forward to a longer life with you because of our pursuit of healthier living.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great team effort!

Congratulations Deb, the two of you are doing an amazing job. I can certainly relate with how, even though we know it intellectually, we are able to emotionally "deny" that there is a problem.

I look forward to seeing both "New Deb" and "New Jeff" in the near future!

Anonymous said...

Deb, you are an amazing lady and the perfect soulmate for Jeff. He truly could not have accomplished what he has so far in this endeavor without your help, love and support nor, I suspect could you have done the same without his.

And the biggest legacy of this continuing accomplishment, aside, of course, from the prospect of longer and more fulfilling lives, is the example you guys continue to set for the boys.

Grandma and I are very proud. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Deb and Jeff! That brought tears to my eyes. Deb...what a distance you both have come. Dave had told me about both of your progress, but being a blog reader has allowed me to feel like I'm living the successes with you. Congrats on how far you've come!!

Unknown said...

Congrats to both of you.. to have someone to share the struggle with must have been great at times, and hard at others. You're both an inspiration!

Pat said...

Hi Deb, Glad to see you post. I look forward to reading more from both of you.

You both inspire me.

pat

Anonymous said...

I have been reading this blog since Jill and Dave first told us about it and have been inspired since. You have made tremendous changes for yourselves, your kids, and each other. Deb, you should be proud of Jeff, but you should be proud of yourself as well!

Stacey