Tuesday, July 3, 2007

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

My brother Neil and I are two years apart -- he being the younger. Like most kids, (certainly like my kids,) we fought like cats and dogs growing up. (Of course, he won't let me forget the time that I knocked him off the swing set and broke his collar bone.) As time went on, we became much closer. (Picture at right is from December, 2005 -- he's the one on the right!)

Neil visited my college and I visited his. We enjoyed some of the party life at each, such as it was.

After college, we rented an apartment together for a year or two. Soon after, he found his bride and went off to start a family.

Neil fought with his weight until late in high school or early college, when he made a decision to break with the male family tradition and lose weight. I don't really remember how he did it, but he did it and as far as I know, has maintained plus or minus 10 pounds ever since.

Since he got married, he and Sherri have raised a girl and boy. They are terrific parents and have wonderful kids. Neil started his own business shortly after marriage and is a very successful and respected businessman.

Throughout my life, regardless of where I have been or what life has brought, Neil has been there to talk through the good times and the bad. I have in my files some amazingly thoughtful and loving cards that he has written to me.

As I noted in my initial post, Neil even wrote Richard Simmons to help me find a solution to my lifelong struggle with the scale.

This past Saturday and Sunday, Neil and his son, along with my kids, rode about 15 miles on our bikes. We guessed that it had been 30 years since we've ridden bikes together.

It was a very special time. One that I look forward to repeating many times in the future.

Neil is my brother, my best friend and I love him.

L'Chaim!

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing your story!

bigmike600 said...

Jeff
Those pictures are great. You have come a long way. I bet your brother is proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Ok, how am I supposed to respond to that? Let me start by saying thank you for all the kind words Jeff, I love you too. What you have done for yourself over the last year or so is truly amazing. Several times during our bike ride on Sunday I had to ask myself if it was really happening. I told my son that morning (after I filleted my finger trying to cut a bagel) that I was looking forward to one of the best days of my life... a 10 mile ride with him (a newly minted bike rider) and my brother, someone I hadn't ridden with in nearly 3 decades. It was indeed a great day.

As for my weight loss you mentioned... for me it was bike riding and it worked much the same as it did for you with your running. I don't remember when I started but I can remember in 9th grade I weighed 210 lbs and my face filled in the entire yearbook photo. I got on my bike and rode the first day only 2 miles (not far on a bike). Gradually I worked up to 20 miles several times a week and weekend rides with a club of 30-40. That later lead to some races and Duathlons (bike, run, bike). I never lost my love for cycling but haden't been on a bike for 5 years until my kids learned to ride a few weeks ago.

You inspired me to get back to riding. Today I pushed myself for 23 miles of hilly agony. My time won't break any world records but I walked around the rest of the day feeling like I owned the joint. That must be what you feel like every day now.

I am incredibly proud of you Jeff for what you have become, inside and out. I look forward to every moment we spend together. Seems like less of them from here on will involve food.

Unknown said...

What a cool story. The pics of you and your brother are very cool - you both must be proud of yourselves.
I recently took my first bike ride with my son since he was a little kid - it was such a cool day for me.