Sunday, June 10, 2007

Super-Amazing Weight Loss Diet Drink Elixer

A number of people have asked me if I had any suggestions for helping them lose weight. I didn't really think about it at the time, but there is ONE thing that I think has made a HUGE difference for me.

It is a clear.

Anyone?

It is odorless.

Anyone?

It is colorless.

Of course, it is water.

I am able to predict with near absolute precision if the scale will be down or not based on my previous day's water consumption. Drinking water has a huge impact on my personal weight loss, almost as much as anything else I have done regarding diet or exercise.

On an average day where I exercise hard in the morning for 40 minutes or so, I consume between 1 and 1.5 liters of water between a few minutes before exercise and an hour or so after. Throughout the remainder of the day, I drink another 1.5 to 2 liters. (Deb and I scour the weekly grocery store ads for the $4 cases of 1/2 liter bottles, then stock up when the hit the shelves.)

Any time that I have been striving to hit a short term weight loss goal, I have kicked up the water consumtion and have made the weight. At year end when I was down 6 lbs from the 100 target with a few days to go, I drank 4-5 liters of water per day. (Warning -- if you do this, don't go far from a bathroom or tree!)

Historically, when I have replaced some of the water with Diet Coke or some other low or no calorie beverage, the result is not the same. If I feel the need for one of these drinks, I try to drink it in addition to my regular water volume, rather than in place of. Generally, I don't have more than one of these other beverages in a given day.

The tell tale sign of sufficient water consumption is the color of my pee. The clearer the better. I can always tell when I need to pound a glass or two of H2O.

I can't say if this will help anyone else with similar weight loss goals, but it certainly can't hurt to drink up!

L'Chaim!

2 comments:

Pat said...

that's a great post. I knew you should drink lots of water, but I always end up drinking diet coke. thanks for the advice.

BTW. . .L'chaim? What's it mean?

pat

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

I often forget how important water was getting me to where I am and I know I need to still drink more than I currently am if I want to get to my goal.