Friday, June 15, 2007

Letter to the Editor

Deb wrote this letter to the editor of our local paper this week. Much to our surprise, it showed up in print yesterday.

Local runners helping everyone to be healthier

This past weekend my husband and I walked/jogged in the Matzohball 5K at Centennial Park. This letter is to thank the many runners and walkers of [our] county for their support and enthusiasm. Last July my husband and I decided to "turn over a new leaf" and pursue a healthier lifestyle, to include participating in local charitable walks and runs. Rather than the "Get out of the way" and "What do you think you're doing?" reactions we were expecting, our fellow runners have been amazingly supportive and encouraging.

This weekend, while mostly walking the 5K, it was obvious that this wasn't my usual gig. A woman passed by me twice on the trail and enthusiastically gave me words of encouragement, maintaining "the pep in my step" and a smile on my face. Runners of [our] county, you're not only making a difference in the health of your own bodies but in health of others as well and I thank you!

To those of you who are still at home contemplating whether or not to get off the couch, there's a whole community out there who will encourage and help you reach your goals.

Well put, my love. I couldn't have said it better myself! (And thanks for writing my blog post for today, too!)

L'Chaim!


4 comments:

bigmike600 said...

It is a nation wide attitude. Runners and bikers and swimmers for some reason seem to care more about humanity then most other folks. You will find that kind of encouragement in every state, and at every race. Good Luck.

J~Mom said...

Great letter! I have been so impressed with the running/walking community. It's such a supportive group!

Pat said...

It's nice to read positive things in the paper. Tell your wife thanks for taking the time to write it. You should have her do a guest post from time to time. Or does she have her own blog?

I think people are so friendly at these races because they've walked in our shoes. And in time, you and I will be the one's encouraging the newbie runner.

pat

Anonymous said...

This is so true! I ran my first marathon 2 weeks ago and the support of the other runners once they found out I was a first timer was just so incredible. I felt so awesome during this event meeting so many encouraging new people. Keep it up ;)