Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Back of the Commode

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I think reading on the commode is predominantly a guy thing. My dad has a stack of Sports Illustrated's and various other magazines next to the toilet. My grandfather had a big stack of vintage Playboy's next to his. I don't ever remember seeing mom's Better Homes and Gardens in the loo.

My wife doesn't understand the concept. If I'm hanging out there too long, I'll be accused of the mortal sin of READING! Then, I'll have to defend my "business." She MUST inform me how quickly she's in and out. It's just one of those things I've come to expect and ignore.

Wow, I have really digressed from my post topic for today.

Over time, I had winnowed my reading list down to just a few magazines. If you visited my commode, you would see a Business Week, probably a Money Magazine, and maybe Consumer Reports. Not too sexy a list, but incredibly practical and mildly entertaining.

My weight loss and interest in fitness has expanded commode selection. Below is a list of health and fitness magazines that I now read on a regular basis and why I like them:

Men's Health -- I find Men's Health to have the best all around advice for general nutrition and fitness. There are always articles or small sections on different exercises, stretches, etc. Some can be advanced, but I'll be doing them some day! I look forward to seeing the monthly Belly Off Club feature, where they profile someone that has lost significant weight. (I'm penciling in myself for sometime in 2008!) The magazine also has at least one monthly article on good foods. I go back and reference April's "The Ultimate Salad" article from time to time. It's always the next thing that I read when it shows up in my mailbox.

Runner's World -- Picked up my first issue of this a month ago and couldn't put it down. Everything a runner needs to know from 5k's to marathons, although the focus is certainly on the longer races. Running health and fitness, stretching, eating, carb loading, drinking, you name it, it's there. Should get my first mailbox issue in July!

Men's Journal -- This magazine concentrates more on the outdoors, rather than health and exercise. There are some articles on those topics, but that is not it's primary focus. I subscribe to this magazine, but I probably wouldn't renew as Men's Health and Runners World cover the topics that I'm more interested in.

I've picked up a few others, like Men's Fitness, but they really didn't add anything that the other don't already cover.

So, that's about it from the back of the commode.

L'Chaim!

3 comments:

Roger S said...

I was never one to spend much time in the loo. Probably atmospheric. Your grandfather not only spent many an hour in there, he was known to catch a few zzz's while in the library. Your Aunt Debbie has her collection of magazines from the Big O, and I don't mean Oscar Robertson.

I always rationalized your size, in my mind, as necessary to house your tremendous heart. A more loving and caring person I have never known. You and I have always shared a special bond, and we are as much friends as you are my nephew. Your metamorphosis has ensured our bond will endure for many more years, and, most importantly, your wife and children will enjoy you for many many more.

Since your trip to Houston a few weeks ago, you are a frequent topic of conversation, and we eagerly look forward to new entries every day. This is a true mitzvah!!! Mazel Tov, and l'Chaim!!!!!

Much love Neph Jeff!!
UR

Unknown said...

In my bathroom is the latest copy of People (or as my hubby refers to it "Poople"). When my kids were young it was the only place I got a minutes peace, so it has been the reading room as long as we can remember!

Anonymous said...

Spending large amounts of personal time in the "library" is a long-standing family tradition, like baseball. The fact that dodger is not a true believer makes me question his paternity. The thing is, short of putting a lounge chair in the garage it's the only place to get any damn privacy.