Saturday, June 2, 2007

Baseball, Hot Dogs, Apple Pie, Peanuts, Popcorn, Hershey Bars, That's What It's all About!


"Me and My Boys" -- April or May, 2006

Something a little different today.

My family has always been full of sports fans. I have memories as a young child going to Orioles and Baltimore Bullets games with my dad and grandfather. (Brief history lesson for any readers under 30: once upon a time, there was an NBA team in Baltimore named the Bullets. In 1972, they moved to Washington and became the Washington Bullets before "bullet" became non-politically correct and they became the Wizards.) I used to go with my dad to Baltimore Colts games. (Brief history lesson #2: once upon a time, before the Ravens came to Baltimore there was an NFL team in Baltimore named the Colts {Browns fans, I know your pain!}. In 1983, Robert Irsay moved the team from Baltimore to Indianapolis and they became the Indianapolis Colts.) Deb and I even went to three MLB games on our California honeymoon!

To give you an example of my family craze, below is the text of a note that my cousins sent with the baby gift for my first born:

We are so happy to have you join the family. You have already made your family proud. . .and you JUST got here!

The world is ready for you and your parents will be there to give you every opportunity to be successful. You are part of a great family: a family of tradition.

If you want to be a concert pianist, you can be. If you choose to be a great painter or a marine biologist, they will support you. However, there is one thing YOU must be. . . you WILL be.

That is a baseball fan. You will be an Orioles fan and you will go to games with your Dad; just like he went with his Dad and his Dad went with HIS Dad. Tradition; what keeps families together; what spurs their memories.

. . . in our family, it is baseball. Go O's

Love, Your cousins Steve, Kathy, Erik, Dustin and Matt


My first born isn't so little any more. He'll be 9 in a couple of weeks and is a huge Orioles and Ravens Fan. That's my boy!


We now spend many nights and weekends at the local Little League park. Looking like a third baseman to me.

The kids love nothing more when I come home from work to go out in the back yard for a catch. We do it every chance we get.

For me, my losses have been our gains. Playing outside with the kids is much more enjoyable now that I can run, too! Last weekend, my oldest and I went for a 90 minute bike ride. It was awesome!

My youngest loves to catch. At 7, he's really becoming a solid ball player. His arm is getting stronger and he can catch balls not thrown with exact parental precision right to his glove!

During an average summer, we'll also take in 4-5 games at Camden Yards plus a couple more in other parks. Last year we hit Washington, Pittsburgh and New York (Shea.) This summer we're headed west to Seattle and San Diego.

So, that's what it's all about. Gotta be healthy to hang out with my boys. Playing in the back yard has taken on new meaning to all of us. I'm just sorry that it took so long.

Go O's!

L'Chaim

1 comment:

Shump said...

Your journey is really cool. I wish you the best of luck as you prepare for your next steps and continued weight loss.

It really is a neat thing to do get to know others at different places along the journey knowing we are all working for the same goals.