Sunday, June 24, 2007

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Buffet

I have always struggled with portions. Even since I began this round of South Beach, I've always justified quantity eating with quality foods -- eat all the veggies I wanted, for example. I failed at the nut experiment but the remedy was essentially abstinence.

In February, Deb and I tempted fate in Las Vegas at the Bellagio and Wynn buffets. I would say we still ate more than we otherwise would have, but the quality of what we ate was much better -- very low in carbs, lots of fish and other proteins.

On Monday, our meals were delayed with the mid-day raft trip. We ate lunch at 3pm and did some snacking en route back to Vancouver. We wound up at the mall across from the hotel at 8. By 9, most of us were ready for dinner. About all that was still open was the Japanese Sushi restaurant. (This was NOT the same place I noted in my post from a couple of days ago.) The restaurant offered an after hours all you can eat option. My kids' eyes lit up. Mine did not. I just wasn't hungry. So, I did something rare for me -- I didn't eat! I ordered up a bowl of miso soup and that was it. I even struggled to finish that -- not the best I'd ever had.

It really felt good to be able to walk away from that table having not feasted on the all-you-can-eat. I look forward to doing that again!

More vacation to come. . . tomorrow, the post-vacation weigh in!

L'Chaim!

1 comment:

Kim Herring said...

Kudos to you for resisting. I've been concentrating on portion sizes lately as well and I think it's a vital key to weight loss/management. Great work!