Thursday, January 31, 2008

End of the Streak. . .

Much like the NE Patriots 18 game win streak, I have lost weight for 18 consecutive months. At least a pound, in fact.

Until now.

As I plugged in this morning's weight into my spreadsheet, the January "loss" turned negative. A gain of 0.2 pounds for the month.

The month was going along swimmingly as I posted an all time low on 1/15 of 237.0. Sadly, I must have been a bad boy since then, as I've been hovering in the 243-244 range for the past few days. What is surprising is my level of activity has been strong with lots of high-calorie burn spin classes and 53 miles run.

Really, there are no excuses. My exercise levels have increased, but I've been over compensating on the food end. Seem's I've developed a taste for trail mix -- my favorite is the Planter's variety, which seems to come more and more in "single" serving bags. It's only 250 calories or so per bag. Problem is, it's become a problem. I've also become fond of dried fruit. Certainly I'm ignoring the fact that the fruit has some kind of coating on it to "enhance" the flavor. Can't possible be sugar, could it? Six days of business travel out of the last ten doesn't help either.

So, there it is. I know what the problem is and I know how to fix it. It's all about control. Back home and back on the wagon starting right now.

Just hope that the Pats don't follow my lead.

L'Chaim!

6 comments:

Marathoner in Training said...

Well I will be the first to say that the exercise and cal burning is not the problem, it must be the input side of the equation. Good luck being on the wagon, the fall off can hurt for a short time, but the best of us get back on with a lesson learned. Sounds like you learned yours.

Anonymous said...

You will be back on track before you know it my friend. You have already identified the culprit now you just need to ride him from your life. I too have fallen victim to great taste and variety of trail mix. It is what kept drawing me to the evil vending machine and is the reason I no longer carry change in my wallet that would be vending machine worthy.

Cheryl said...

It's hard to stay on track when you have to do all that travelling. Good luck gettting back on the wagon. I am in awe that you lost weight consistently for 18 months! You can do it again.

And... GO PATS!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're not insinuating that the Pats are going to lose tomorrow, are you? Losing is for Jeff, not for the Pats.

Trail mix can be particularly deceptive. Have you tried making your own? My grocery store has a great selection of bulk nuts and dried fruits that contain no additional ingredients (oil, sugar, etc.).

Pokey said...

18 months is nothing to sneeze at Jeff.....you are still on track, even if the scale doesnt always show it.

Nuts are good for you, but soooo fattening. I have the same problem....its just way too easy to eat way too many!

Pat said...

18 straight months of losing weight is incredible. Maybe that should be a goal of mine. Consective months of losing at least 2 pounds. That sounds doable.