Saturday, January 26, 2008

The Long Long Run

In all honesty, I'm not fond of the long run. That's the part of the marathon training program that comes once a week and builds from 4 miles in week 1 of the 19 week training program and escalates to 20 miles in week 16, 3 weeks before the big race.

I received the plan last weekend and I'm already behind in week 5. Schedule for the week was 4 x 3 mile runs and an 8 miler today. Travel this week made the 3 milers tough. I got just one in during the week and it's been more than 2 months since I've broken 6 miles on a single run.

So, I got on the waiting list for the 6:30 spin class this morning and was able to score a spot. After a good hour of spin, I hit the treadmill. I was really not looking forward to this. I suppose that I'm understating it a bit -- really it was dread. I wish there was an exciting way to talk about an 8 mile treadmill run, but there isn't. I got it done. Was hoping to beat a 12 minute mile average and in just under 96 minutes, an 11:57 average, I was done. It really wasn't that bad, to be honest.

(Oh, and in reference to my last post, I used a layer of New Skin, covered by Glide. I ran blood free, but not entirely pain-in-the-chest free. I'll keep playing around with stuff till I'm outta pain.)

Somehow, I've got to get over this dread of the long run and figure out how to embrace it. The runs only grow in length from here, so I'd hate to not look forward to each weekend long run. Gotta change that mind set.

L'Chaim!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you would ever like to meet up somewhere for a long run I would be glad to keep you company for as much of the run as I can.
BTW, nice job on the 11:57 pace. You are much faster than I on the treadmill. :)

Anonymous said...

Here's the link for that half:
http://annapolisstriders.org/races/bamarathonNew.html

Unknown said...

ugh- 8 miles on the dreadmill?? You are a better man than I.
I have blown off my last 4 long runs. next week I have promised myself to buckle down.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks, Deb! I thought I was a LaundryFreak, but that is some serious dedication to the craft.

I'll give your methods a try. Thank you so much.

Emil Von Runner said...

Awesome job man! My 7 miles just about put me out of my head. I know I'm supposed to do 7 or 8 next Sunday. If I'm inside I somehow doubt it will be 8.

Chief Wahoo said...

8 miles on the dreadmill...your committed!

I like to look at my weekly long runs as my own time - a couple of hours that I can spend thinking, listening to music or just "being"

Cheryl said...

8 miles in 96 minutes? That's awesome! You are much tougher than you think. Way to go, Jeff!

Also, glad to hear you didn't have another blood bath and freak everybody out. :-)

Pat said...

I think I did 3 miles on a treadmill once.