Sunday, April 20, 2008

I'll Have a Sacroiliitis with Piriformis Syndrome on the Side, Please.

So, that's what I have -- sacroiliitis with secondary piriformis syndrome. Guess I shoulda guessed that. Silly me.

The doc wants to see me three times a week for the next month or so when he'll continue to do some electrical stim and manual adjustments. Having read what others have done, this is in line with their diagnosis and results.

What about running? He said I should give it a try. I added to it stretch number 3 from here before trying to run 3 this morning. The results were positive. I did 3 1/2 on the treadmill, of course analyzing every tiny little twitch. I was able to run 3 miles non-stop, which is better than I could do on Thursday or Friday. I felt a bit of the tightness in my left thigh at about 2.5, but nothing like I had experienced earlier in the week. From there, a very mild feeling.

I'll call it cautiously optimistic, but certainly better than it has been. From here, I'll keep pounding the ibuprofen, stretch that baby a few times a day and try to slowly increase the distance during the week to get back to the taper schedule for next week.

Thank you all so very much for your kind words and encouragement. With now just two weeks to go until the big run, you have truly helped me through this. Hopefully, it's all good news from here.

L'Chaim!

5 comments:

Daiquiri princess said...

Glad your run this morning was relatively pain free. As I said we are going to do our very best to make sure you are in top shape for the marathon in 2 weeks.
Happy Pass over.

Andrew is getting fit said...

I hope you recover quickly Jeff. I'm looking forward to hearing about your marathon progress.

K80K said...

Glad you got a diagnosis and a course of action. You are going to do great at your marathon.

Anonymous said...

No one ever said building an athlete was easy.

Now you know it wasn't the waterbottle holder!

Okay, so I'm clearly grasping at "silver lining" straws, but hey. You're Jeff. You've run away from a gazillion pounds and an unhealthy lifestyle and into a whole new person: an about-to-be marathoner. You're going to overcome this.

J~Mom said...

Oh man, I can't even say those out loud! I hope your healing goes quick!!