Friday, April 11, 2008

Dreadmill

For most of my running "career", such as it is, I have run on the treadmill. With about 800 miles in the last 21 months, at least 80% have been on the 'mill. I've written about my long runs in the low teens on the mill, all taken in stride. What could be bad -- a controlled environment, all the comforts of home or the gym, no potholes, etc., etc., etc.

I could go back and quote the comments that mostly read something like this: "Oh, my, 14 miles on a treadmill? More power to you!" And I thought "no biggie!"

Well, my friends, I have turned on my dear treadmill. After a few more outdoor runs last week, this weeks treadmill runs were painful. Well, maybe painful isn't the right word, but unfun. (Is that a word?) Tuesday's 10 miler did it to me. After a couple of miles, all I wanted was fresh air and pavement. At 5 am, though, I opted for the 'mill. Wednesday's 5 miler wasn't much better, the wishing just started earlier.

So what of my treadmill runs? Well, I think I'll use them as protection from the elements, but less so for all of the other conveniences.

I'm actually looking forward to hitting the pavement for 20 tomorrow. Up till now, I've spent the few days before each longer long run in nervous anticipation of the new mileage, but not this week. I'm ready to go tomorrow. Then the taper begins.

As for my treadmill . . . sorry to turn on you, old friend. I'm sure I'll see you some, but it's time for you to get your rest. I'll be back, but just for a short visit!

L'Chaim!

4 comments:

J~Mom said...

I have only been on the treadmill a handful of times and it's been ok but it's just not the same as the pavement. I get distracted by all the numbers in front of my face. :>P

Good luck with your 20!!

Andrew is getting fit said...

I think when you first start running there is a certain security in running on the treadmill. You know that worst case scenario you will just get off it. If you are out running and just can't go any more then you may be stuck god knows where.

I used to love running on the treadmill but since I've started running outside I've come to appreciate how beautiful my city is and how great it is to be able to be outdoors. I'll run inside when it's raining but for now I think outdoors is better.

K80K said...

Two years ago at this time I could run 7 on the treadmill at the drop of a hat. Now it is just frustrating to even squeeze out two.

Marathoner in Training said...

I hope your 20 went as good as mine. I avoide the dreadmill at all cause.