Thursday, October 4, 2007

2.67

The blah's continued last night. Pat and Jenny recommended running at football practice -- got home too late, but a good thought.

This morning, I got up at 5 to run, got dressed to run, got my shoes on to run, turned on the treadmill to run, turned on the tv to watch while I was running on the treadmill. Then, I just couldn't do it. I didn't have it in me. Every bone in my body, every cell in my head said not to do it. I listened. More blahs.

My plan was to come home from work, have dinner, put the kids to bed, then veg in front of the tv till bed time. But, I kept reading the comments and encouragement. Seems that there is a run of the blah's these days, but thankfully also a run of good advice.

Chubby said "Anyone can train hard when they feel like it. But the difference in results comes with the less-than-spectacular workouts - the "punch the clock" workouts." (She attributed this to Alwyn Cosgrove.) Kim didn't want to swim, but she did. Pokey didn't feel like running either, but she pushed on and had a great run. Mike was blah, too, but got through it. And now, I find out that my uncle is NOT an Ethiopian marathoner. (Who knew?)

So this afternoon, I talked to Deb and told her I needed to run through it. She wholeheartedly agreed. This needed to be outside, not on the 'mill. Time was not on my side. I got home at 6:15, changed, grabbed my Garmin and mp3 and headed out. No time to stretch (shame on me.) Off I went.

It was a really sloooooow run, but it was a really gooooood run! As dusk turned to dark, I turned into my driveway with 2 2/3 miles completed and, though my time wasn't stellar, I jogged the whole way and no pain in the ankle.

It felt great to be outside and to enjoy the run. Are the blah's cured? Thanks to all my friends out there, for tonight, they are!

L'Chaim!

4 comments:

Kim Herring said...

WOOHOO! Great job! I would agree that the true test is when you get out there despite the desire to not do it.

Anonymous said...

Yay! So glad to see that you are feeling better. I think the blahs are just part of being a runner. I know I can run more than 10 miles at a time, but there are times I get out there and just can't make it past 2. Disappointing yes, but I know there is a better run for me down the road. :)

Pokey said...

GOOD FOR YOU JEFF!!!! Way to conquer the opposition!

Trust me, I have many more *blah* days than I have *ooh, I really want to go run* days....so this is a constant challenge. When life is so busy, and we are all chronically tired, it sometimes takes a swift kick in the tail to get it done.

KUDOS to you for making it happen!

Pat said...

good job. sometimes you just got to get out there. a new place to run always helps me.