Friday, May 9, 2008

What's Next?

Believe it or not, on the way home from Frederick, Deb asked me that very question. It was really more like this:
"So, do you have this marathon thing out of your system because I don't think I
can take another week like we just went through with you just one big stressful
glob and ignoring your family and if you don't have it out of your system, you
need to promise me that if anything happens along the way, that you won't push
all the extremes and get all stressed again, cause we can't take it again?"

Okay, maybe I paraprased a bit, but you get the idea.

My answer?

"Love of my life, you know, this was a great experience, but I think I'd
really like to do one of the major big city marathons. You know, like
NY or Marine Corps or Chicago. I've heard the experience is incredible."

That was about it. . . for Sunday.

In the midst of my feeling good, post race euphoria on Monday, I looked up Marine Corps and the web site said: "Less than 1000 spaces left!"

Uh oh, better act fast.

"Darling, can we talk about Marine Corps?"

"Do we have to talk now?"

"Well, yes, it will sell out today."

"When is it?"

"End of October."

"Of course, my sweetness. I'm behind you one hundred and ten percent. Go for it!"

"Thank you, my dearest, you ROCK!"

Well, I might be paraphrasing just a tad here too, but you get the idea.

So, I became one of the last of 30,000 to register for Marine Corps Marathon.

Have a few more fill in's for the rest of the year, but that'll be the big one!

Thanks again, my love!

L'Chaim!

12 comments:

K80K said...

Well by now you should be an old hat at marathoning so next time won't be as stressful or all consuming right? I'm am very excited for you and the Marine Corps. You are going to do awesome...again!

Daiquiri princess said...

The Marine Corps Marathon- WOW- AWESOME. When is it and where is it?

Daiquiri princess said...

Oh and it I havent said this before- you have an amazingly wonderful wife. Kudo to Deb for all her support and love- she is awesome too.

J~Mom said...

Excellent!!!!!!!! That is very exciting!!

Dave said...

Jeff - it doesn't become old, it can, however - become an obsession ;-)

It all started for me at MCM ('03) on a dare from a friend who said "it's a lottery, you won't get in anyway"...a few thousand miles, 16 pairs of shoes and lots of neckwear later...you can't change the sport, but it can change you.

Once again, we'll be there!
MCM '08 (10/26/08)

Chief Wahoo said...

EXCELLENT!

There is no stopping you now!

The fact that you were so quick to sign on for another marathon has me thinking maybe I should give it a try...

CewTwo said...

You know, I am running Chicago this year as my first marathon. I apprecaite any report that goes beyond the 'race' report.

As runners, we just can't help but share everything that is running with those that are close to us. It is important to know that people can survive the stress period prior to a big event. It was really important to me to read a report like yours.

I anticipate finishing Chicago in about the same time frame as you, so I look forward to your marathon race report.

I am running a 10K tomorrow and the Colorado Colfax Half-Marathon next Sunday morning.

It is obvious that you have found something within yourself that you like. I like just finding that out! Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl said...

Awesome, Jeff! I just read about the hill at the end of the Marines marathon in Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life, talking about when Oprah ran it. Go for it!!

Kudos to Deb and the kids for surviving your pre-race stress. Being the family of a runner must be a lot to put up with, but at least you're doing something healthy, which means you'll be around longer for them, right?!

Pokey said...

Very cool Jeff!

It's funny how that "what's next" question always seems to surface. And I've found that NOT having an answer, just usually gets me in to trouble ;) I need the perpetual carrot dangling in my face....

I am very excited for you!!!

Amy said...

Friggin eh! Way to go!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

I just checked and it sold out that night. You are probably one of the last to get in. NICE

Anonymous said...

So that's what's next! Awesome!