Friday, February 8, 2008

Running. . . I mean, Running

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, before ankle injuries and paranoia set it, I could run 2 miles without stopping. They weren't a particularly fast two miles -- pretty close to 12 minute miles, but they were running, none the less.

Since the fall, most of my running has been in fits and spurts. I usually knock out the first mile without a problem, but after that, it's run/walk/run the rest of the way, whatever that is.

Reading Pokey's blog the other day got me to thinking about how I need to get back to working on endurance RUNNING.

So this morning, I set out to run. My plan was for 5 miles, but it's been a long time since I've run continuously for more than 1.5, so I figured I'd shoot for 2 continuous and I'll work up from there. Along with this, I decided to put less emphasis on the speed. Normally I start at 5.7 mph on the treadmill and increase from there. Today, 5.7 would be the magic number.

The first mile was no sweat, as usual. As I thought through the process, I realized I'd been using the walk breaks as a crutch more than anything. At 5.7, my heart rate was at about 150, but didn't feel overwhelming. I think I could have conversed somewhat comfortably (assuming someone wanted to talk to me.) From there, my body naturally started to push me to walk, but I didn't give in. I kept going through 1.5, past 2 and managed 2.3 miles before my first walk break. I never touched the speed setting.

Ultimately, it was a great 5 miles. In the end, I finished the 5 in 54:08, an average of 10:50/mile -- a new PR. I know I could have kept going, too.

Tomorrow will be my first outdoor run since November. It is scheduled for a 6 miler at Centennial Park with Team In Training. My plan is to head out early and do another 3 to participate in Non-Runner Nancy's 9 on the 9th . I'll let you know how I do tomorrow!

L'Chaim!

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Way to go, Jeff! I've just been reading, too, about how important it is to build up endurance and not to focus on going faster or farther, just longer time running. Not sure I got that across properly, but anyway...

You rock!