Saturday, February 9, 2008

9 Divided By 3 Equals 9 on the Ninth

Today being Febuary 9th, it's time for

Non-Runner Nancy's 9 on the 9th Sweetheart Shuffle. Being one to never pass up a challenge, I signed up!

The plan was to do hit the local park and run 3 miles prior to the Team in Training scheduled 6 mile run to make the 9. Well, you know what happens to the best laid plans.

Morning came and I was up plenty early to get to the park by 7:15 to do my pre-run, but time just slipped away and I spent some time chatting with Deb instead. (Much nicer, I think, than running around in the sub-40 breeze for an extra hour.) So, the next plan was to add 3 at the end.

I got to the park and met all the Team in Training folks. Much to my surprise, out of 15 or so first timers, there were only a couple of us doing the Frederick full. Most were doing the Frederick half, San Diego half or Mayor's Midnight Marathon Half in Alaska. Regardless, after a few comments from coach Karen and a brief presentation from the owner of a local running store, she explained the route and we were off. For the first mile and a half, I was able to run with one of the coaches. Nice guy. Was kinda wierd for me to not be running either alone or in a room full of treadmills. He was running a half, so only had 3 miles on the schedule -- at 1 1/2, he turned back, I kept going.

Mile marker two was the water stop. For sure, the biggest benefit of running with the group. They had water and Gatorade put behind a big green transformer. When I arrived, there were four or five others ahead of me. I stopped for a couple of minutes, then headed off, leaving the group behind to socialize.

The three mile marker was the turn around point and I hit the water stop again on the way back. This time, on my own. Now four miles in, I've been able to run without stopping, other than for water.

After a quick drink, it's back towards the park. At about mile 5 1/2, the run goes on a gradual, but long uphill grade. Now, I'm walking, but feeling pretty good about getting to this point with only stopping for water twice. I trudged up the hill, then came back into the park. Total distance measured by Garmin: 6.25 in 1:16:48, a pace of 12:17/mile, including stops .

So how did I get to nine? Well, I got home and my eldest was at his basketball game. I went inside briefly, then took off by foot for the 3/4 miles to the middle school where he plays. After the game (a heartbreaking loss) I finished with two on the treadmill.

9 miles done, 3 "runs" in 1:48:27, an overall average of 12:03/mile. Not bad for my first street running (well, 7 miles of it, at least) in almost 3 months.

L'Chaim!

6 comments:

Bob A said...

Jeff -- way to go. Treadmills and streets are so different. Doing 7 miles on the street after 3 months of t'milling is great. You are a real inspiration.

Nancy said...

Great job!!! And thanks for joining us. I'm so glad you did. I'm guessing maybe we got you to do 3 extra miles today?? COOL!!

Thanks so much!!

K80K said...

WTG Jeff! I don't think I could have completed it having it split up like that. How's the ankle feeling?

Marathoner in Training said...

You made it nine, that is what counts. I do not know if you accidentally entered in something or were miss informed by someone but the San Deigo RNR is only a full marathon and not a half. I hope that was a typo and not someone thinking they are doing a half that is a full.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Way to get it done Jeff.

Cheryl said...

Great run, Jeff! That's a very creative way to get in your 9 miles!

Running with Team in Training sounds like a great way to get ready for a race. (I think I might freak out the first time I actually have to run with a whole bunch of people!)