Friday, February 22, 2008

A New Level

In the last 10 days or so, I feel like my running has moved to a new level. Last night, I posted a 4 mile treadmill run at 41:59 -- 10:29/mile. Not a PR, but pretty close. I'm consistently at or under 11 minutes now for my medium and short runs and well under 12 for my longer runs over 8 miles. Even better, I've managed to really cut down on the walk breaks. Last night, I took just one walk break and that came after 3.1 miles (5k), for just 1/10 mile.

Marathon training is going great (knock on wood) and, if I'm able to throw and extra 3 miles over plan in before next Friday, I'll hit 100 miles for the month a February -- a high mileage month by more than 50%. I'm actually starting to look forward to the long runs, too.

I really have to thank Karen, aka Pokey, for her post talking about getting back to running, rather than run/walking and Dave for suggesting I use a lower mph setting for my long runs. I know that this isn't earth shattering news, but sometimes you read stuff over and over and just don't listen when it's right in front of your face. I'm now starting slower than I was but, because I can endure longer, my times are improving. It's been quite a breakthrough. Could the sub-10 minute mile be far behind? Only question remaining is how the treadmill times will convert to the road. If I could just get my cold-allergic-wimpy-butt out on the road, I might find out.

Last night, Dave and I went to see Spirit of the Marathon. The movie follows six runners planning to run the 2005 Chicago Marathon. Two are elite professionals, two are repeat marathoners and two are first timers. The movie takes them from early training through marathon day. It's quite inspirational.

All for now.

L'Chaim!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow, you're doing awesome, Jeff! Running more than 3 miles before even taking one walk break -- I am impressed and inspired. Keep up the good work. We'll be reading a marathon report from you in no time!

J~Mom said...

Awesome Jeff!!! I know what you are saying about having to read the same stuff over and over again, I wish I would have listened a year ago and slowed down! Great job!!

Pokey said...

Thanks Jeff - but I gotta thank Lisa and Wes....they are the ones that really drilled it into MY head. I am so glad it is working for you. The jury is still out for me...but I gotta believe that ultimately I will see results. I mean, I cant stay this slow forever, right? :P

Chief Wahoo said...

Great job increasing your speed while building your mileage - you got it all going on!