Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Back from Vaca . . . So Sad

We got back Sunday from our trip west. Hard to believe we were gone for 10 days.

Some lights (high and low):
  • Yellowstone was amazing. Almost a freak of nature with all of the geysers, springs, fumaroles and pools.

  • "Bear Jam" -- term for what happens on the road when a bear is within 200 yards -- every car just stops and people start taking pictures. The bear jam is almost as interesting to watch as the bear itself. (Yes, we partook as well! Two bears: one black, one grizzly.)
  • Kids whine but they absorb. Was quite impressed when my kids spewed out all kinds of info that they picked up from the mile and a half ranger led hike a couple of days earlier.
  • After 4 days at Yellowstone, we headed south to the Grand Tetons. Deb and I got out at one point to look at the Tetons as they overlooked Jackson Lake. I must say that this may be the most beautiful natural site that I have ever seen. It was magnificent and breathtaking. I got chills and a bit choked up even. Pictures to come.
  • Bikers everywhere. I was amazed at the number of people there were on bikes of all kinds. My eldest and I had a nice 2 hour ride into the park through a trail down to the Madison River. He said it was his favorite part of the trip. Made me feel all warm and fuzzy! I rented a comfort bike in Jackson Hole and got in a couple of long rides -- 17 miles on a flat trail and 16 early one morning into Teton park.

  • My left foot continues to bother me. In fact, it can be downright painful. It all started about a month ago and I thought it would get better on his own, but it hasn't. Didn't run at all on the trip, including the trail race I had planned to run (but I did pick up the t-shirt since I had paid for it.) Did go out to cheer on the runners. Some were struggling after completing 2-1000 foot climbs over the last half of the 8k. Really sorry I missed those climbs.

  • On Friday we had a no car day. Just bought passes for the Snowbird activities. A full day of zip lines, alpine slide, trampolining and the gondola ride to 11,000 feet. What a blast!

  • Tons of bikers in and around Salt Lake City. Probably more bikers than I've ever seen anywhere. At one point, Deb said to me: "you wish you were biking don't you?" Yes, I did!

  • Deb took more than 2,000 pictures. Will post some as soon as we figure out how to download them!

All in all, it was a great trip. The kids did great considering we did 1500 road miles and four hotels.

Time to start planning our next adventure.

L'Chaim!

8 comments:

J~Mom said...

Welcome home!! DH and really want to take the kids out that way sometime!! Sounds like it was a great experience!

Andrew is getting fit said...

Welcome back. It sounds like you had a great time.

I really like the sound of the snowbird activities!

Cheryl said...

Sounds like a wonderful family vacation! My family went to Yellowstone and that area when I was a kid, and it is still memorable to me. I'm sure your kids will have great memories from this for years to come. Sorry to hear your foot is bothering you to the point of not being able to run. But you sure did get in some biking miles!

Daiquiri princess said...

Welcome home- sounds like a great trip.

What is wrong with your foot and have you told your chiropractor about it?

CoachLiz said...

I am totally jealous of how much fun you had. It sounds like everyone had a great time!

As Terry said, see if your chiro doc can take a look at your foot. I have had things get out of place and be downright agonizing. After a quick adjustment, by the next day things are almost back to normal.

Welcome Back!

Anonymous said...

mmm. pictures! kthxbye.

Nitmos said...

Do you mind going through those 2000 pictures and just posting the real cool ones? I only have limited time. No offense.

I hope those bear sightings weren't near the race course. There would be an upswing in PR's (and DNF's) if so.

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Welcome back Jeff. I am way behind on my google reader. Hopefully this rainy day is the answer to that problem.

Sounds like a great vacation and can't wait to see the pictures.