Thursday, July 3, 2008

"Walk as Little As Possible"

I seem to be spending far more time in doctors' offices now at about 230 pounds and arguably in the best shape of my life than I did for the many years I teetered between 414 and the mid-300's. (Actually, no argument about it, I am in the best shape of my life.)

Yesterday's visit to the chiropractor yielded some relief for the foot pain I've been having, but this morning, I awoke to the same old thing again, so it was off to the podiatrist.

As you might have divined, the title of today's post is what the podiatrist said when I went to see him this morning.

Seems I have a case of plantar fasciitis that I aggravated about a month ago. (I'm sure you remember this post -- that was the actual last day I ran. It was later that day that the pain started.) It hurts most when I get up in the morning and try to walk on it. I usually have to turn my left foot upwards and walk just on the outer edge to manage the pain which often subsides throughout the day, but not completely. Some days I limp, some days not. It's unpleasant.

So the doc said it would probably take at least three months of rest, stretching, not ever walking on flat surfaces without shoes with arch support. He went as far as to include walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

As for exercise -- biking is the best -- no pressure whatsoever on the plantar. Swimming itself is good, but the walking around the pool is troublesome. Running? Well, maybe when I feel 100% I can try walking for exercise and build up to running. OY!

I wasn't quite prepared for this, but it's certainly not as devastating as last summer's ankle injury. I'll have to wait and see how the rehab goes to figure out the fall schedule. Annapolis in August (next month?) is going to be out. October events -- just wait and see and hope for the best.

Unfortunately, I couldn't talk the doc into writing a prescription for something like this:


L'Chaim!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

If you can talk the doc into a script for that ride, I'm going to you're doctor.....
Feel better soon!

K80K said...

You are one of the strongest and most persistent people I know. You are going to get through this before you know it. I hope the pain is gone soon.

Cheryl said...

Do you have a pair of Crocs? I have started using mine for those "middle of the night trips", to alleviate heel pain. They work great as slippers. Also, check out footsmart.com for all kinds of things that are supposed to help with things like plantar fascitis. Sure hope you get relief from that pain soon!

Daiquiri princess said...

Jeff, It will be ok. Doc will keep working with you and cheryl is correct crocs are wonderful for not only wondering around the house, but also pool side.
Follow the doctors orders.
It will all be ok

bigmike600 said...

Jeff I had that in high school when I ran track (yes don't laugh but I was a pretty good sprinter before I started livin large) and it just takes time to heal but the good thing is that it will heal. Even if it takes 3 months, it will heal and you will be as good as new.

I actually looked at that bike in a bike shop and let me tell you brother...ITS SWEET.

Andrew is getting fit said...

That's got to be tough Jeff. Hopefully you can get it healed and then be back on your way!

CoachLiz said...

Jeff,

Ask your Chiropractic doctor if they use any lasers for decreasing inflamation and pain. I have had this done on the ball of my foot for sesimoiditis and it cleared it up faster than just rest and stretching alone.

It is worth a try.

Liz

J~Mom said...

Oh boy, hang in there!! I am sorry to read that!

Pat said...

I get PF'd every so many months. Can barely walk when I get out of bed, but it gets better as the day goes on.

I found that a heal support from the drug store fixes the problem in days, not months. I wear the support all day long. Then, it goes away for a few months. I keep the support for future use.

heel pain shoes Annapolis said...

The one thing i would like to add here is that people with plantar fasciitis should not wear fitted shoes because shoes that are too tight or fitted can easily cause resistance or tend to place greater strain and combined with dry skin, this may lead to skin breakdown.