Friday, June 13, 2008

School's Out For Summer Dah Dah Dah Dah. . . Dah Dah Dah Dah

How many times will Alice Cooper's School's Out for Summer be played on radio stations this month. It's crazy that the ode to the last day of school is 36 years old and probably played more today than when I was in school in the 70's and 80's.

Today is the last day of school for my kids and they're ready for it. Tonight we'll hit the Orioles game to celebrate and tomorrow our little league season (finally) ends.

Then, the packing begins. We're less than a week from vacation and I, for one, can't wait.

This year's trip will quite a departure from our normal vacation. We've always tended to hit big cities, like last year's trip to Seattle and Vancouver, a long weekend in NYC, or time at the beach. Not that there's anything wrong with this type of vacation, but this time, we're moving out of our comfort zone.

Next week we head out to the Rockies for visits to Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and Snowbird. In a word, we're going out to nature. The word nature itself scares the hell out of me, just slightly less than the word camping. (No, no camping, although we are staying at a Holiday Inn Express!) I've spent my entire 43 years avoiding nature. No interest in fishing, hunting, bears, woods, even bugs. You get the idea.

This will be different. We'll be hiking. Deb found a spring for us to swim in. We'll be bonding with nature. (Again, I didn't say sleeping with nature, a.k.a. camping. A few years ago a woodsy coworker asked me about camping. I told him Jews don't camp -- Moses spent 40 years in the desert camping, so we stay at the Holiday Inn!) (That last statement shouldn't be indicative of all Jews. I do actually know some Jews that do camp. But it's pretty rare.) We're gonna do lots of fun outdoors stuff that we've never done like ziplines and whatever else Snowbird has to offer in the summer.

Deb even suggested that I try to find a race to run, and so I did. Quite conveniently, the Xterra Snowbird 8k is hapenning while we are there! How convenient! Looking forward to my first trail run.

Lot's to do before we go, but we can't wait!

L'Chaim!

8 comments:

J~Mom said...

Funny stuff about camping!! I am the same about the outdoors and go camping once a year to appease Javadad. I have to admit though, the more time I spend outside biking and running the more it grows on me! Have fun with the 8K!

Daiquiri princess said...

Sounds like great fun. Enjoy - and remember to avoid the snakes

Nat said...

The whole 'Jews don't camp' thing made me guffaw...

I hope you have a wonderful fun time. I know I had to be convinced the first time as well. You'll have fun. I know I did.

Roger S said...

The drive from Yellowstone to Jackson Hole is one of the most beautiful and memorable I have ever done. There are few places on Earth more beautiful than the Grand Tetons. (If Jackson Hole is on your itinerary, the Million Dollar Bar is not to be missed, if you can occupy the kids for a little while.) You will LOVE this trip. Very jealous.

Roger S said...

The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar
http://www.milliondollarcowboybar.com/

Cheryl said...

You are hilarious with your "Jews don't camp" shtick! :-) It sounds like a fabulous place to go for a family vacation! I bet you guys will have a blast. Way to go,finding a race to run while you are out there bonding with nature!

CoachLiz said...

Your trip is on my list of trips that I would like to do. You will need to take lots of pictures and tell us all about it.

Good luck with XTERRA run. Sounds like fun!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Hope you have a blast. Can't wait for the pictures and reports.