Monday, October 27, 2008

Ass Kicking Update

It's been a long time since I did a Monday Update where I report my successes, or lack thereof, from the prior week. Seems that these updates are a lot easier to write when the news is good.

If variety is the spice of life, last week was close to a habanero pepper with nothing less than a buffet of activities: boot camp, two Body Pump's, two spin classes and a 21 mile ride yesterday.

As for South Beach -- I was able to maintain the plan with one intentional variation -- Kashi Go Lean. A couple of months ago I was reading one of Lance's posts about the virtues of the stuff. I tried it and now, I'm hooked. It's not on Phase I of South Beach but it is on Phase II, so there's my exception. Bowl of Kashi, skim milk and a banana (also Phase II). Aside from all the good stuff in it, it sure keeps the body plumbing moving -- one thing that South Beach has a tendency not do.

For the most part, I had no issue with the reduced carbs and exercise. One notable exception was yesterday's bike ride. By 70 minutes in, I was hurting and started to trail the group I was riding with. Even though I had the cereal and included a bottle of G2 on the ride. Only question is whether that was a function of the reduced carbs or the exercise for the week. Guess time will tell on this front.

With all of this good stuff going on, the numbers on the scale have been shrinking. Since my request for ass kicking two weeks ago, I'm down 14 pounds, from 237 to 223, a new 30+ year low and a far better result that I thought that I would see. It's only two weeks, but it definitely feels like the first couple of weeks on a new plan.

Next up is to plan out the activities for the next six months. With no major runs or rides on the calendar until April, time to make some plans.

L'Chaim!

11 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Wow, great results Jeff. Hope some rubs off on me. If I could just get past the weekends, they kill a great week of eating.

Daiquiri princess said...

Awesome Jeff. 14pounds in 2 weeks - thats great. Way to go.
Keep focused- by years end you will be at your goal.

Pat said...

Wow! Great job. I'm about 10 pounds in ahead of you. So, I better get hustlin'.

I find that I bonk on some runs, but not all. when I do a long run I plan to eat a few more carbs the nite before and bring some carbs on the run. It worked for my half.

Keep up the great work and I'll see you on the other side of 200.

Amy said...

Jesus! You're so skinny!

Way to go mister.

Andrew is getting fit said...

Way to go Jeff! I'm with you on the weigh in posts being easier to write when there is success to report!

J~Mom said...

That is more like it! ;>) Nice job getting back to it!!

Nitmos said...

Congratulations. Keep up the great discipline. Balance...balance..balance...life/exercise/nutrition!

Robert Barker said...

great job Jeff!

Kim Herring said...

Nice work Jeff - I'm so glad that the ass kicking worked for you.

And I liked the previous post as well - great quotes. I'll share another one with you....

"I never use negative words. Lose weight (you are not losing anything...you are GAINING health and fitness) - Diet (has negative connotations, you are fueling), working out (it it not work it is fun, and you ARE an athlete so you TRAIN), your are not fat (you are an Olympic caliber athlete whose body is surrounded by a foreign mass that is keeping you from being in optimal health - IT IS NOT YOU)."

Someone shared this with me and it helps me get thru the tough times. When I first read this I thought training fun? right - but now I really do think it's fun. And yes having a plan and writing out your schedule definitely helps me get thru the winter. For those of us who live in the colder climates I agree that it is a challenge but that's what cold weather gear is for.

Keep up the great work and posts! I always find inspiration on your blog.

CoachLiz said...

Way to go Jeff!!!

Keep it up and set some short term goals for November and December.

Anonymous said...

Update me.

kthxbye.