Thursday, November 4, 2010

Turning Lemons into . . . Carbon!

How do you make this:



look like this:



Well, it's not EXACTLY magic.  You see, the picture up top is of the left rear quarter panel of my car.  One night, not so long ago, Deb and the car met it's match with the wrought iron gate at my house.  The gate won. 

I took the car to be looked at and was shocked a what my little dent would cost to fix.  So much for avoiding the insurance company. 

Fast forward and backward to my bike.  I've been talking about upgrading from my entry level Trek for about a year and a half, maybe longer.  Every time I get close to making a move, something comes up and I won't spend the cash.  Recently I've been hanging out at my new favorite local bike shop (LBS), Knobbies and Slicks.  They've tuned up both of the kids bikes as well as my Trek.  I've gone out on a couple of rides that they've sponsored as well.  I happened to mention to the owner, Bud, that I'd been thinking about a new bike.  Well, that was all I had to say.  Before I knew it, Bud had me on a few sweet machines and I fell in love with a particular set of wheels from Rocky Mountain

Anyone that has been in my car knows that I treat it. . . well, like crap.  It's transportation.  It gets me to work, the kids to school and it's safe.  I remind my coworkers that I've got Maryland dust on it since it's not been washed despite four months of Texas.  (I once took my car for a wash and the guy told me I needed to bring it in more than once a year.) 

This is where the "little ding" and carbon fiber collide.  It just seemed logical to ignore the ding and buy the bike.  So that I did!  Thanks, Deb, for the bike (sorta.)  And thank you, too, Liberty Mutual!

Day 2:  Another good day of eating.  A visit to 24 Hour Fitness with a guest pass and a great hour spin.  Best two consecutive days I've had of eating and exercising in quite a while.

L'Chaim!

4 comments:

Daiquiri princess said...

Congrats on the new bike.

Risa Ganel said...

I love it! Way to go! Enjoy the ride!

Knobbies and Slicks said...

Glad you like the new bike. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, Your awesome! Keep focused. We have new toys at the shop, come check them out!
Bud