Monday, September 14, 2009

Let Me Tell You About Some Friends

When I started blogging, I found some folks out in blogland that I quickly developed a kinship with. There was Dan in New Jersey (Dan's blog here), Pat in Arizona (Pat's blog here) and Mike (Mike's blog here) and Jenny (Jenny's blog here) in Wisconsin. They were all bloggers and all had similar stories -- weight loss due to changes in eating habits AND exercise. Running in particular.

These folks became a virtual support system. We'd celebrate each others victories and support each other's disappointments.

Dan and I have run together a couple of times -- in Philly a couple of years ago and most recently, as part of the same American Odyssey Relay team. Next month we'll run the Marine Corps Marathon.

Pat is the uberblogger. Still out there blogging on a regular basis, always reading and commenting on our doings. He's also the king of the running events. Pat does 5k's, 10k's, all the way up to marathons. Currently he's on a quest to run in all 30 of Arizona's state parks. Nobody outruns Pat!

Mike and Jenny moved quickly from running to triathlon. They inspired me to get a bike when injury kept me from running a couple of years ago. They saved me from the dreaded elliptical.

In August of 2007, Mike posted this: "IM now has me in it's grip, calling me, pulling me...I no longer find myself saying that I have no desire to try IM. I no longer find myself thinking that I could never do it. Now it is a question of when do I think I'm ready to try and where will I try."

Over the past two years, I have followed Mike and Jenny as they planned and trained. They struggled with training and with weight, but they persevered. Mike turned a fear of swimming into joy. What a couple of years it has been.

Yesterday, they both completed Ironman Wisconsin.

I am proud beyond words of Mike and Jenny. They have come so far and accomplished so much. I can't even begin to think of how difficult yesterday was and they persevered and they finished. (And, they signed up for next year!)

This morning I ran 18 miles and I'm feeling it. Do I dare complain? No. Mike and Jenny are feeling it a whole lot more!

Some day, the five of us will go for a run, together, all in one place, at the same time. Don't know where or when, but we will and it will be an event unto itself. There's nothing like a run with your friends.

L'Chaim!

5 comments:

Pat said...

On the day the wimmers did IMWisconsin, I didn't get much sleep. I bet they didn't either. Then when I finished my slow 5k, I realized they were just getting out of the water. In the afternoon when I wanted to take a nap, they were on the bike. At dinner, I realized they were still running. Then, when I couldn't stay awake any longer, Mike and Jenny were fighting the back end of the marathon. Amazing. And you've done some amazing things too. Cheers to all my blogging and running friends.

Anonymous said...

Mike and Jenny "You are an Ironman!" (You have to imagine the PA announcer voice yourself.)

Congrats on such an awesomw accomplishment and thanks to Jeff for sharing such cool news.

Eric (TNT friend of Jeff's)

Andrew is getting fit said...

It's fantastic how we can meet so many fantastic people via blogging.

Congrats to all of you.

Shawn said...

I just found Mike and Jenny and have to say I'm sorry I missed everything that lead up to their 'special day' that being said, I plan to follow them through all of their triumphs to come.

CoachLiz said...

I saw videos of Mike and Jenny crossing the line. What an amazing journey they both had.