Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Finding the Jeans Stretcher

Years ago, when I worked in a book bindery, every new floor guy (aka "janitor") would be asked by one of the old timers to find them the paper stretcher. Now, common sense says that there is no such thing, but every single guy would go from person to person asking where the paper stretcher was. One old timer would send them to another: "Go ask Jimmy, I think he had it last." Jimmy would send him to Paul and so on. After a good half hour of this jocularity, they'd clue the guy in and the whole shop would be roaring.

So, I'm presently in search of a jeans stretcher. I'm sure there must be such a thing as my 36's are just about DOA and my 38's do a fine job of relocating my belly rolls. There must be such a device out there, right?

Mrs. FFRG suggested that I write this post just to get it all out of my system, but not put it out there for all to see. I just don't feel right about that. I've spent the last 2 1/2 years talking mostly about the good stuff. It wouldn't be right to ignore the bad. So, here goes. . .

No other way to put it, but I've continued my out of control spiral up the dial on the scale. I topped out Tuesday at 264. Actually, 264.6. Of course, this is no surprise as I've been cursing the donations I've made over the past years to Goodwill of my size 40 pants and just about every XXL shirt I own.

In the glass half full department, one might say kudos to me for keeping off 150 pounds. Exactly 150 pounds. Well, I'd feel pretty good about that if I was still on the way down. It's been more than a year since I bottomed out at 218. What's hard to believe is that I was in the low 230's for the Marine Corps Marathon. Just two months ago! 30 pounds in two months. There must be a tapeworm or something, right?

Actually, not. Sadly, it's 100% explainable in a "hand-to-mouth" sorta way. There have been M&M's, Raisinettes, Chex Mix (cheddar or dark chocolate flavor, please), ice cream (low fat, of course!), cookies, more cookies, still more cookies.

The bad habits of the past returned with a vengeance.

Sure I could explain it all away. No problem justifying my first real fall off the wagon in 40 months. The bottom line is I've been pigging out.

Monday was a low point. On Sunday, I had bought a bag of after-Christmas discounted Nestle Crunch bars and some other no-name chocolate. When I got in the car to head off to boot camp at 5:20 am, my hand went right for the chocolates. By the time I got near the gym, I knew that I'd see all of that chocolate on the way back up if I worked out. So I stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts, got a big coffee and sat in the parking lot eating chocolate and drinking my coffee.

These are the actions of that old fat guy that I was, not the finely tuned athlete that had finished a marathon and a 100-mile bike ride just two months before.

After my biggest fall, I came home and confessed my sins. (Isn't that the first step in those 12-step programs?) This was a big step and I knew Deb would help me get back on track.

I felt then like I was that 414 pound guy again. Even looking at myself in the mirror, I could see the changes for the worse. Suddenly, I was feeling embarrassed to be in the gym. I struggled to find acceptable attire, since form fitting clothes were not designed with blubber in mind.

Since Monday, I have felt a rebirth. It's only been a couple of days, but I feel the commitment. I've been in the gym and have been eating very well, heavy on the fruits, veggies and lean proteins. I know I can get myself back and beyond. 2010 WILL be the year to hit my goal!

In the mean time, if anyone has seen the jeans stretcher, would you pass it my way?

L'Chaim!

11 comments:

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Good to get it out there and off your chest Jeff. Lets get this thing back on track in 2010 (you and me).

I will send you the Jeans Stretcher I think I am just about done with it.

Roger S said...

NJ, you're a strong guy with a strong personality and alot of resolve. Don't be discouraged by your fall (or should I say 'rise'). Be encouraged by your admission and recognition and rededication. You will reach and surpass your goals.

Andrew is getting fit said...

You know what works so I have no doubt you'll get back on track. I think you should blog more eh! I've been missing your posts.

It really helps I find.

Jeff said...

Thanks you guys. It's been a cleansing week, to say the least.

Andrew -- resolving to blog more in the new year!

Kim said...

Yes, you need to blog more. I had also been struggling for the last year with weight. Somehow, I flipped the swtich to "on"-and am now back on track with working out and portion control. You CAN do this!!!
Happy New Year!

Eric said...

Jeff:

I think the I left the Jeans Stretcher next to the Left Handed Smoke Shifter.

Just remember that you are in control of what happens next, and the Jeff I know is a pretty strong person. It sounds like you may have the first step back on track behind you, now you just need to keep pushing. I's say think of this like training for your marathons, you just need to build back into it slowly and take it in small chunks.

I'd second the request for more blogging, as I always enjoy your posts and there is something to be said for public accountability to a goal. We're all here for you.

Pat said...

congrats on a difficult post. It maybe an after marathon loll. Do you have plans for your next big race?

My mia culpa is not losing the weight I wanted to lose this past year. I gained. Twenty two pounds. 2010 is going to be about losing weight and getting into the best running shape of my life.

Blog more, eat better, run faster!

Tracie said...

Jeff, I just happened upon your blog. I am not a follower but it has truly motivated me. You ran the Marine Corps Marathon? I have been in the US Marine Corps for 16 1/2 years and I wouldn't dream of running that far!!! That is INCREDIBLY motivating!! That is so inspiring!! I love to see people big and small out there enjoying exercise. So what, you fell off the wagon for a little while... no one's perfect... but good for you, you realized your flaws and look at you, you climbed right back on. WOO HOO!!! That is some TRUE motivation and dedication as we say in the Corps. Way to go. Don't lose sight of your goals now. Everyone needs some Dunkin Donuts (boy do I wish they had some here in Texas) and chocolate now and then - you just got to work it off at the gym. That is truly inspiring!! Don't get down on yourself, remember where you started and how far you have come. Don't even think about giving up now!!! OOH RAH!!

Anonymous said...

Jeff, it sounds like you have stopped beating yourself up, and that's good. You can't control what you did yesterday, only what you do today. You deserve a lot of credit for recognizing what happened and taking steps to correct it! You're gonna be fine! Rooting for you,

Mary C. Hack

Katie Roscher said...

If anyone can hop back on the wagon its you! I admire your honesty through the good and the bad and see you as a source of inspiration to many people who might be fighting the same battle of the weight. Wishing you the best running year ever. This time next year we'll prob be seeing a blog about you hitting and beating your weight goal.

Daiquiri princess said...

Jeff, yes admitting your problem is the first step in any 12 step recovery, I have the AA big book if you ever want to read it.
We all have minor set backs from time to time and given what you have been thru this past year its no so surprising.
NOW focus on the goals, and keep your eye on that.